Tuesday, July 5, 2011

4 Lessons on the 4th


The Cockrell Girls at our 3rd Annual 4th of July Bash


After a long winter and many blog posts lamenting over the fact that I had cabin fever, I will say once again I am having a fun filled perfect summer.  It started off with a couple of beach trips and lots of family time to weekends either on the boat or in a pool.  So here we are at the half way point of the summer and while I can't say that I am quite ready for the weather to turn chilly any time soon, I can say that I am getting satisfied from my long list of summer activities. 

This past weekend was the third annual Cockrell Girls' 4th of July Bash and with a house full all weekend, it truly lived up to its name. We started off the weekend with the pre-parties with my family and friends heading to the Square for the Street Dance.  In between events, we spent lots of time at the pool, cooking, eating, laughing, and re-telling stories over and over like Southerners do.  Then on Monday, our home and sidewalk welcomed a party of 24.  We again cooked, ate, laughed, dodged the monsoon of rain outside, and created memories for more stories to tell (and re-tell) later.

4 Lessons I Learned During the 4th
4. A little or a lot of rain doesn't stop a party especially when the party has tents and laughter with good food waiting inside!

3. Give people a few drinks and party karaoke is born!

2. We live in an amazing country.  This weekend during many deep, philosophical conversations over wine, the topic would turn to current events or my favorite, politics!  In these friendly debates of various opinions we all agreed several times that our country is not perfect but it is a beautiful one and we are so fortunate to get to live here.

1. And most importantly, in my amazing country, I am incredibly blessed with countless family and friends. I am so happy that I got to celebrate another great 4th with so many of you!

Jessi, Jimmy, and Mom on the way to The Square

Me with my love on the way to the street dance

Pool Days!

Supplier of party karaoke

Party-goers Billy with grandson, Jackson

My beautiful mother laughing

One of many deep conversations

Party karaoke

Sweet friends

Being typical us...silly

Homemade ice cream!

No comments:

Post a Comment