Friday, January 13, 2012

My Top Ten: Oxford

I am definitely a Mississippi Girl!  I have had the opportunity to live in  South, Central, and North Mississippi at some point in my life. And for one year, my job required me to travel all over the state visiting towns that most people don't even know exist.  I love my Mississippi and all the rich culture it has to offer.  Now, I live in Oxford.  A jewel of a town in our state.  When I moved here five years ago from Hattiesburg, I thought that moving to a smaller place would slow my life down. Not so at all! In fact, most nights you have to force yourself to stay home because there are so many activities.  The following are some of my favorite things about my "Northern" home:

10. Thacker Mountain Radio - I moved here hoping to cultivate my writing and Thacker Mountain Radio always gives me a dose of much needed inspiration to get my creativity going.
9.  AJAX - Southern food with some extra spice!  The first restaurant I tried when visiting Oxford many years ago and have loved ever since!
8.  The Square - You feel like you have stepped on a movie set. I never knew that people actually walked and hung out on town squares regularly unless a festival was going on until I moved to Oxford.  I felt like I had been cast in an episode of Gilmore Girls and was visiting Stars Hollow.
7.  The Balcony of City Grocery - No better place to have a glass of wine with friends and family on a cool night overlooking The Square.
6. Square Books and Off Square Books - Another place to nurture the writer/reader soul!
5. Ole Miss - The Chronicle of Higher Education got it right when they named Ole Miss one of the best places to work.  I work with some of the best, congenial people that make coming to work fun!
4.  The Grove - Anyone up for a party?
3. Bottletree Bakery, Boure, Big Bad Breakfast, Volta, Roosters, Old Venice, Soulshine Pizza.... - Oxford is a foodie's dream come true! I was warned when I moved here I would gain about 15 pounds. Thankfully, I learned quickly how to manage indulging in the food while not gaining weight!  If you do anything when you come here, make sure you eat because Oxford is a southern town after all!
2. An Active City - Sidewalks are not only visible around here, they are used.  People walk, run, bike.  People use the gyms and parks.  We are an active city which, I suppose, is why we can indulge in all the items listed above in number 3.
1. And the most important part - the people. I am so grateful for the friendships that I enjoy here.  I think that five years ago I didn't know these people who are a huge part of my life and now it is like I have always known them.

No comments:

Post a Comment