Tuesday, December 14, 2010

A Southern Perspective

Southern life is a life where children grow up in a rich wonder land filled with make believe characters that may often be confused with truth. Our youth of creativity and imagination is what cultivates the artistic creations that arise from our region. It also helps cultivate a little bit of crazy but what is life without crazy?  Boring and conventional - two things that definitely do not belong down here! Southern children are raised spending time around the dinner table hearing the grandparents, parents, aunts, and uncles telling stories so bizarre that no one would believe....yet, most are true.  I once heard a writer claim jokingly, "I hate you Southern writers! You don't even have to make this stuff up!" No, we have to tone it down so people will believe it!  Come to the South and stay awhile to experience a culture so rich in personality, emotions, and tradition. Each of us are truly unique which only adds to the landscape that defines the South. However, we all have the common bond of being proudly defined as Southerners.  That bond mattes us together to make this region.

In the coming entries, you will read about life in the South from a native Mississippian who loves her state and the region.  I have blogged before on a variety of topics including politics, careers, and religion but all of my blogs are influenced by my love for my Southern heritage.  I am putting a pause on my other blogs for the moment to focus on writing on a topic that comes easy.  The old writing advice is to write about what you know and I definitely know the South.  If you have followed my other writing then you know that you will continue to see pieces that cause controversy, after all I am a proud Southern Democrat.  You may also read a few entries that will hopefully inspire you to follow your dreams since I do work as a career counselor.  And there may be moments where I talk about spirituality and religion because I am a devout Catholic.  But whatever the topic may be, I hope every blog will be another step in developing or deepening your love and respect for my home - the South.  Whether you are a native Southerner or an admirer of the South, please join me on my new blogging journey because everyone can live the Modern Day Southern Way regardless of location!

1 comment:

  1. Casey, I truly enjoyed reading this today, two days before Christmas! It brings up a lot of memories when my older sister and her friends tried to tell me there was no such thing as Santa. My grandmamma Brown called him "Santy Claws", with her accent!
    I have four children and it was tough keeping their belief up as we traveled from town to town with their father looking for work. Often we wondered if Santa could find us! That's when we decided we should always put up a few lights, where ever we were, motel rooms, or our travel trailer, just so Santa and the reindeer could see us!
    I look forward to following you on this blog! I find a lot of similarities in your descriptions! Love It! Merry Christmas, and have a blessed new year! Kim Chrestman

    ReplyDelete