Tuesday, January 3, 2012

The New Year Fun List

I love the beginning of a New Year.  The potential of what is to come in the new year excites me. For years, my mother and I have armed ourselves with quite a few January edition magazines as we buy into the promises on the glossy covers that claim our lives will be changed for the better if we just follow their simple steps. We scour the magazines and get inspired to make the coming year the best year yet!  So I happily make a long list of resolutions each year while I dine on the traditional Southern fare of  black eyed peas, cornbread, and cabbage. Of course, as a Modern Day Southern Belle, I throw in a mimosa or two or...well never mind the number. 

I have long ignored the naysayers who rely on the cliche' that they don't make resolutions. I just let them be in their droopy, dreary party by themselves.  They can entertain each other as they use the saying that everyone who isn't creative enough to come up with a resolution says: "My resolution is to not make any resolutions this year."  I have never heard that saying before, bless their hearts.

I was reading the typical responses of resolutions in a local newspaper article when one response stood out - to make a fun list of things to do in 2012.  Surely, even the grumpy cynics like fun right?  With the fun list as inspiration, I came up with a combination of 50 resolutions, goals, and fun to do items for 2012.  Yes, 50. It is a lot but I do have a whole year! And some of my goals make the list year after year. For example, I have yet to make the sugarfree healthy cheesecake that has appeared on my list for the last ten years but making the dessert a goal each year is a tradition now and one day I will make it. 

While I haven't made the cheesecake (yet), I do accomplish many of my resolutions and goals each year.  Like last year, I completely met the challenge of buying more shoes!  It was tough but I sacrificed and bought away.  I felt so proud of myself every time the cashier rang up another pair. Each time a purchase was made, I thought,  "Take that naysayers - you can accomplish your resolutions! Even hard ones, like buying more shoes!"

I am very excited about my list of 50 this year.  Below are a few of my ideas for 2012 if you need some inspiration to create your own.

1. Buy more jeans (I did so good with the shoes, I know I will be successful with this goal!)
2. Travel to a destination I have never been before (advice from the Dalai Lama for what one should do every year)
3. Read one book every month
4. Finally finish writing my first book
5. Cook more and discover new recipes
6. Practice mindfulness
7. Exercise more (here I come Zumba and Yoga!)
8. Snap away (learn more about my photography hobby)
9. Go to the beach a lot (a lot!) this summer
10. Attend one of the painting classes at YAC
11. Blog more (Watch for the coming weekly posts "Southern Sundays"  that will feature pieces on Southern life such as food, photography, advice, stories, and events).

And the list goes on for 39 more items, some are deep and some are frivolous but all will work to contribute to another great year! Happy 2012!

Boyfriend and I made a delicious New Year's Eve Dinner: Boiled Shrimp, Roasted Rosemary Potatoes, and Green Beans sauteed with bacon and onion.  Definitely a repeat menu for the future.

Me on New Year's complete with my crown!

No comments:

Post a Comment