Thursday, June 28, 2012

Cooking with Pinterest

After feeling quite proud of how many pins I had collected on my pinterest boards, the realization hit me that I never do any of this stuff.  Here I was pinning happily away but as soon as I pinned, I forgot about it and moved on to the next pin.  This behavior made me think about our new pinterest culture.  Is it simply like collecting stickers like we did as kids?  While I love all my pretty boards and being inspired by images that I want in my life, I decided I needed to take action on some of these ideas that I saved.  So I gave myself a new challenge - every couple of weeks, I will attempt to do something on pinterest. Most likely it will end up being cooking, photography, or wedding related but I am taking action with my pinterest board!

Last night was my first time to attempt my challenge.  I wanted to do something special to recognize one month of being engaged so we decided to cook together - something we always love doing.  I found a recipe off of pinterest and tweaked it slightly.  Ed tried it and said that I knocked it out of the park and asked me to please not forget what I did.  So below is the recipe - it is definitely worthy of not only pinning but actually cooking!  Enjoy!

 Chicken and Mushrooms in a Garlic White Wine Sauce

  • 8 chicken tenderloins, 16 oz total
  • 2 tsp butter
  • 2 tsp olive oil
  • 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 12 oz sliced mushrooms
  • 1 golden onion, sliced in strips (the original recipe did not call for onion but I cook almost everything with onions!)
  • 1/4 cup white wine (used Middle Sister Drama Queen)
  • 1/3 cup fat free chicken broth (added a little more as it cooked down)
  • salt and fresh pepper to taste


Add olive oil and butter to skillet and heat.  Add chicken to saute.  Throw in the wine.  Toss in the garlic.  After the chicken is half way cooked, add the onion that was cut in strips by fiance (sorry he is not on loan so get your own to help).  Add chicken broth. After onions have started to soften, throw in the mushrooms cleaned and sliced by fiance (he is the knife handler in the relationship). You may want to add a little more chicken broth if needed and one more tbsp of butter because that tastes good.  Cook until the liquid is almost gone and after fiance pokes at the chicken to make sure it is done.  

Serve over brown rice with english peas! Yum!!!



 If you want to see the changes I made, go to the original recipe that I pinned and tweaked.

Ed's favorite type of white wine is Sauvignon Blanc so I picked up a new bottle for us to try.  If you want a citrus, unique flavor of passion fruit kind of wine then try this one. The taste was very refreshing and we will definitely be getting it again.  Ed loved that it had a screw off cap but I missed the experience of uncorking the wine. Overall we gave the wine a 7.5 out of a scale of 1 to 10.

Kim Crawford 2011 Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc





No comments:

Post a Comment