Monday, March 7, 2011

The Slow, Sweet Life

I have often heard that compared to other people in the country, us Southerners like to take life slow.  We talk slow, walk slow, and some people think we think slowly as well.  Well, I will somewhat agree that some of us do talk slowly. I tend to speak fast especially when I get excited but I may be the exception to the rule. I do like to walk slowly especially on a beautiful sunny day but I am a short Southerner so even when I walk fast my 5’2 frame can only make so long of a stride!

We may even think slow. But not in the negative stereotype placed on us.  I know, of course, I am biased. If you have not figured out from the title of this blog, I am a Southerner. However, let me offer a different perspective on this slow perception of us.  Why is slow bad? Maybe we savor our thoughts like we savor our words and walks.  Maybe we mull over things and this long thought process takes us to the creative thoughts that also define our region.  Depth takes time and the Southern perspective is composed of layer upon layer hence needing time to slowly take in all the layers.

Another perspective on slowness is enjoyment. Why rush so much through life? I hate to hear people frequently say in a thankful tone that their day or even week was so busy but at least it flew by.  I often wonder when someone says that, especially often, what are they trying to rush to? Death?  If they are that miserable in their daily lives, I would think it is time for some serious self reflection.

Take time to slow down and enjoy a day.  I don’t want to hurry through my life just to get to the end of it.  Isn’t it after all the daily moments, the small pleasures, the slow walks, and the great thoughts that make up our lives? Of course all of us find days that we want to pass but in a content life those should be few in numbers.  And yes I get excited about an upcoming event and wish it would hurry up and get here. But for the majority of my days, I make time to celebrate my "dailyness". I slow down enough to recognize that getting a cup of a coffee with a friend, drinking a glass of wine on the balcony of City Grocery, having a special dinner in the middle of the week with family, or watching frivolous television shows are a few of the many sweet moments when things slow down and I realize once again that I have a very good life. So in the spirt of Southern slowness, I hope you can find something to savor today and many of your days!  Slow down y'all to enjoy the sweet life or at least some sweet tea!

1 comment:

  1. Love this one. Glad to finally find someone else who doesn't like for their week to fly by!

    ReplyDelete