Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Roasted Red Bell Pepper and Hummus Snack

Going gluten free has forced me to become more creative and ultimately a better cook. I can't just reach for what is easy and typical because it is usually bread.  For example, one of my favorite snacks is hummus and pita.  I can still eat the hummus but the pita is off limits.  I love hummus but I do not really like the idea of eating it off a spoon so I needed to find a substitute for the pita.  Enter the cucumber!  I love keeping a few slices of cucumber to dip in any type of hummus now.  Much healthier than the bread option and I get in a veggie with less calories!

Last night I still had hummus but no more cucumbers.  I was going to slice my next favorite raw veggie, the red bell pepper, when I got a little more creative. I halved the pepper and laid the halves skin up on a baking sheet.  I then just drizzled a light coating of extra virgin olive oil on the skin and put the pepper under the broiler in the oven (on broil of course) for about 15 minutes until the skin starting to char in a few areas. Delicious and so simple!  I sliced the pepper into strips and dipped into hummus. I want some now as I write this blog.  The new idea gave me a great idea for a party platter in the future too: roasted bell peppers, jalapenos, cheese cubes, sausage, and hummus....you know you want to be invited to that cocktail party!

No comments:

Post a Comment