Thursday, January 16, 2014

Nausea

I can't really complain. The only uncomfortable symptom I have had so far is morning, noon and night nausea. A persistent nausea that causes me to squint my face with a random variety of smells. The once pleasant smells like fresh brewed coffee or the clean smell of laundry detergent can make me gag. I have not been sick and hopefully will not get sick but the nausea can wear on you.

My days for the last several weeks are focused on looking for the next miracle food or drink that will take the nausea away - even if just for a few moments. Unfortunately, this has led me to eating...a lot. And not so healthy choices. Pre-pregnancy I was a health nut and would not touch gluten, red meat or sugar. Now my body craves these foods. Pre-pregnancy, I thought I would manage my weight carefully sticking to my health rules for nutrition. How quickly baby changes things, even when baby has not been born. I have had more sugar in the last few weeks than I have had in the last five years. Not good but it sure tasted amazing! I broke down last week and ate gluten products. I was desperate for relief and a regular cracker sounded so amazing.  The crackers did not let me down. They were my favorite meal last week. While I don't have celiacs, I do have gluten sensitivity so my stomach did not like the crackers but the nausea temporarily went away. To me, that was worth tummy troubles.

Pre-pregnancy I thought nausea would mean you could not eat anything. Not for me, I eat all the time because that is the only time I feel better. I am trying to get back to my healthy ways this week. I bought some crystallized ginger to help with the nausea (will see if that works) but I have to eat better for me and for bundle. Mom picked on me the other day saying I got pregnant as an excuse to eat bread. While I did not want an excuse to eat bread, I enjoyed my food vacation the other day. But all and all, I learned that nothing really conquers the nausea except time. Supposedly it will disappear soon. In the meantime, I take comfort in the nausea being a reminder that bundle is with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment