Monday, March 31, 2014

The Story Behind The Name

We debated back and forth on several name ideas up until the day we found out that our bundle is going to be our little boy. We only semi agreed on some names but we both agreed we did not want anything too trendy or cute because our baby would eventually grow into an adult that needed a steadfast, strong name. It was hard to really commit to any one name not knowing what the gender would be so we had a few in mind but I felt like when we knew the gender the name would come.

I had no idea that in the few minutes following the reveal of our little boy, we would be set on a name. It clicked. Sitting there waiting for the doctor after the ultrasound we were elated and the name just came to us. We had already decided the middle name would be John. A few weeks earlier, one evening, the name came to me while we were watching tv. I wanted a saint name and I knew that John was also the name of Ed's grandfather that he loved so much. John seemed like a good fit. I did not say anything to Ed at the moment because he was very engrossed in the show. 

The next morning at breakfast out of nowhere, Ed says, "What about John?" The way we both came up with the same name in a few hours of each other made us immediately agree John would be part of the name.  However, I wanted something slightly more unique for the first name so we pushed on.

Around the same time, during the Oxford Film Fest, my mother and I saw the name Buckner in a documentary. We both loved it but neither one of us said anything at the moment. The name reminded us both of my grandfather, who was always known as Buck. However, this was a unique variation of the name which would give our son history and his own unique identity.  I brought it up to Ed a few days later and he liked the strength behind the name.  At that time though we did not know if bundle would be a girl or boy so we did not decide.

Back to the doctor's office that wonderful morning, we were ready to call our son something besides Bundle. We knew John would be the middle name and I brought up Buckner again mentioning that both grandfathers would have a part of the name. We both loved the idea and named our baby boy Buckner John that moment.


No comments:

Post a Comment