Wednesday, May 21, 2014

The Rudest Thing

I made it seven months without a rude comment from a stranger. In fact, strangers inquiring about my pregnancy have been so kind and leave me feeling better. But this week I received several rude comments in a row from a Walgreens cashier checking me out.  I think she started off to mean well but this girl had absolutely no tact whatsoever.  Her lack of tact combined with my new found bluntness that I suppose comes with impending motherhood was an interesting conversation.

Cashier, smiling: How many months are you?

Me, smiling: Seven months

The next comment shocked me so that it took a moment to absorb what she said because I was use to a friendly compliment after such a question.

Cashier: REALLY? I thought you were much further along than that! I would have guessed nine months.

Me, not smiling, after absorbing what she just said: Wow, that is not what you say to a pregnant woman.

Cashier: I mean, I was just much smaller than you when I was seven months.

At this point, I am reeling! Really? This girl does not know when to stop.

Me: Well, we all gain weight differently.

And I am thinking you are five inches taller than me and weigh more than I do now when you are not pregnant but I graciously kept my thoughts to myself.

Cashier: I was going to say are you pregnant with twins.

Me, temper flaring: You are on a roll today of everything you are NOT suppose to say to a pregnant woman.

Cashier starts to look a little nervous as I wonder if I should have her call her manager up to the front for her lack of good customer service.

Cashier: I know it is hard. I am still trying to lose the weight I did gain with my baby.

Me: How much weight did you gain?

Cashier: Too much.

Me, pressing: How much?

Cashier: Well, I started at 155 and finish over 200.

Me, triumphantly: Yeah, I have not gained that much and what I have gained just looks like that much because I am short.

And with that final statement I turned and walked out as I tried to decide if I should cry or be furious. Immediately I call my mom as I sit in the parking lot of of Walgreens fighting back tears but in the conversation with her I decided to be furious.

She had no right to comment on my weight. If I was just fat, she would not had said a word so why does being pregnant automatically give everyone a license to discuss your body? Besides, she had no idea how I am doing great in the weight department...if I really gave in to what I wanted I would have also purchased a gallon of  ice cream and a package of chocolate chip cookies!  But all I bought was conditioner and lotion so lay off lady!

No comments:

Post a Comment