Thursday, June 16, 2011

Defining My Own Flavor



Being raised in a Southern family of cooks, I have incorporated their recipes as well as created my own. I gravitate to making dishes that I consider festive and special.  I want a lot of flavor and just like my mother, I need tang.  If you eat what I cook, be ready for dishes made with onions, celery, bell peppers, and garlic because I just don't understand how savory food exists without at least two of those ingredients. 

I realize as I  write this blog entry, that I have unknowingly inherited the just a little of this or a lot of that style of cooking when it comes to my own creations.  I will try my best to describe quantities and cooking times but I can only promise approximations for the measurements in these recipes.  So I wish you good luck and if you can't figure them out, just give me a call. If I like you enough, I might actually cook one of them for you!

I AM JUST A PLAIN OL' WHITE GIRL
My former co-worker and sweet friend, Lisa, came into my office one day pouting.  She was getting ready to leave our school for another job and I assumed she was sad because she would have to leave my wonderful daily friendship. Not quite.  The conversation kind of went like this:

Lisa:   Casey, I am sad.
Me:   Why Lisa?
Lisa:   Because when I leave here I probably will never have another Hispanic friend.
Me:   (Pause as I thought for a second and then realized). Lisa, I am not Hispanic.
Lisa:  Yes, you are!
Me, laughing at this point:   No, Lisa I am not.
Lisa:   Yes you are, Casey!
Me:    Lisa, white girls can have dark brown hair and not be Hispanic.
Lisa:  You mean to tell me that you are just a plain ol' white girl???

Yes, I am a plain ol' white girl. Although I would hardly describe myself as plain, I lean more to the dramatic in my life.  But sadly, I didn't fill Lisa's cultural need for a Hispanic friend.  Thankfully, she still talks to me even though I am just a white girl.

But I love Latin inspired food.  I have played around with both Mexican and Cuban recipes.  I still haven't really mastered the Cuban style foods but I am working on it.  But I think I have mastered the fajitas.  At least that is the most requested dish I make so either no one likes anything else I cook or this dish is really good!  I like to think it is the latter.

Chicken Fajitas (The following makes enough for about 4 - 6 people or leftovers for two the next day!)

7 to 8 chicken breast tenders
1 large golden onion
3 green bell peppers
5 or 6 roma tomatoes
Garlic
Chili powder
Cumin
Olive oil
Salt
Black Pepper

Heat the pan with a little bit of olive oil.  Brown chicken breasts and then cut into small chunks.  Slice onions and bell peppers into fajita style slices.  Saute onions, peppers, chicken in olive oil (just drizzle lightly all over). Add garlic (about 1/2 tsp) and salt to taste.  Sprinkle black pepper (about 1/2 tsp).  Then completely coat the chicken and veggies with a lot of chili powder (everything should look red so be generous!).  Add cumin but remember cumin goes a long way so about 1 TBSP.  Cook for about 15 minutes (until onions and peppers start to soften). I usually add a little water at this point (about 1/4 cup or less) to avoid sticking and having to add more oil. Sliced the tomatoes in long slices and add to the pan.  Dust a little more chili pepper, cumin, and salt into the pan. The tomatoes take the least time to cook so I add them last.

Serve with whole wheat tortillas, homemade guacamole, sour cream, and shredded cheese.  And if you really want to eat them like I do, add some Louisiana Hot Sauce!

BORN IN LOUISIANA, RAISED IN MISSISSIPPI
I am very fortunate that I can claim two states that are culinary stars as my own.  Although the following recipe might make any Cajun cringe, I still love it and that is all that matters!  However, I do consider myself an expert in red beans and rice which has been consistently my favorite food since childhood.  Some people's favorite foods come and go throughout their life. Not me. I have stayed a true red beans and rice lover. I have eaten this dish everywhere. Some wonderful and some not so good. The best, besides mine of course, that I have had so far is in Jackson, MS at Que Se Ra.  The restaurant has won awards for this dish so go check it out when you get a chance.

I say all this to have you understand that I know red beans and rice before you read what I do to mine because some of you "true dry beans people" out there may be raising your eyebrows.  I don't use dry beans.  It isn't that I don't like them but when you work all day and want to eat this particular meal fast on a weekday night, corners have to be cut but not at the cost of taste. I promise! 

Red Beans and Rice

2 cans of light red kidney beans (Bush's)
1 can of pinto beans (Bush's)
Sausage (I am a healthy eater so I typically choose turkey but sometimes I splurge on a different one)
Garlic
Onions
Peppers
Creole seasoning
Olive oil
Lousiana Hot Sauce
Brown rice

Empty the three cans of beans including liquid into a large mixing bowl.  With a potato masher, press the beans down until at least half of them have been mashed.  (This is an important step because you will still get the creamy texture that comes from dry beans and it does seem to add more flavor). Slice the sausage into bite size diagonal pieces.  Saute in olive oil sausage, onions, peppers, and plenty of garlic (at least a TBSP).  I sometimes throw in some celery to honor the trinity of cajun cooking.  Saute until onions become transparent. Add beans and just a slight dusting of creole seasoning.  Turn down heat and simmer for about 20 or so minutes. Stirring often to avoid sticking.

Serve over brown rice.  I garnish my own personal bowl with a layer of hot sauce. Que Se Ra covers theirs with shredded cheeses (also very good!).









My specialities
red beans and rice
chicken fajitas

No comments:

Post a Comment