Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Friends and Food

Mary Lea's Tomato Cups
For the longest time, my mother and I have always wanted to belong to a bunco group.  About two years ago, we found six other ladies that wanted a once a month giggle game fest as well.  We decided on the second Thursday of every month and that each host would provide a light meal before we started the game.


The kick off to bunco began with our first hostess, Mary Lea,and that was the night that the rest of us discovered The Tomato Cup.  I think the phrase "light meal" was thrown out after she served these appetizers because we each ate at least the amount of two meals in tomato cups.  And from then on, not only does our group play bunco but we also try to outdo each other with the meals we prepare.

Fortunately for me, Mary Lea supports our love for the tomato cups and they have made many appearances at other events from Halloween parties to 4th of July parties.  This year she wanted to make something different for our annual 4th of July party but when she found out how disappointed my mom (and me) were, she is once again making our favorite! Only 20 more days until tomato cup time...but I am not counting or anything.

THE Tomato Cups
1 can rotel
1/2 c. mayo
3 green onions chopped
1 tsp. basil
1 c. grated cheddar cheese
1 pkg. real bacon bits
 2 pkg. pastry cups (phyllo shells)

Combine all ingredients. Fill shells. Bake @350 for 10 minutes.

Toni's White Chicken Chili
Every year for Christmas, my boss (and friend) throws her staff a chili party as her Christmas present to us.  She makes a red chili and white chili with all the fixings.  The chili party is where I discovered The White Chicken Chili.

My mother is known for her chili and now I am known for my white chicken chili (aka Toni's White Chicken Chili). The first time I made it, I didn't know that I was suppose to drain the chili peppers and with me not fearing hot stuff, I loaded it down with chili and jalapeno peppers. Needless to say I was the only one who could eat it.  Now I adjust the peppers so that while it is still hot, others can enjoy it.  I still argue the point of hot chili is to warm you on a cold night from the inside out but non-hot eaters don't agree. So I just keep a jar of jalapenos next to me.

White Chicken Chili
3 cups cooked chicken breast 
2 14oz cans chicken broth
3 cans of white beans (canelli and navy beans)
1 chopped onion
1 4oz can chopped green chilies
1 4oz can diced jalapeno peppers
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
3 cloves of minced garlic
1 cup of Monterrey Jack Cheese

Saute chicken breast in oil until cooked. Remove chicken and saute onions until tender then add to the onions: jalapenos, chilies, cumin, and garlic. Saute for about three minutes. Add the chicken, beans, and broth. Cook for about 30 minutes. Add 1 cup of Monterrey Jack Cheese for thickening before serving.

Beth Ribelin's Taco Soup
I have been making this taco soup since 1998.  While this soup is great any time of the year, there is something about October and this soup that just goes together. It has since become my October tradition.  However, I first had it in on a very frigid day in January when I was in the process of moving.  Mrs. Beth made it for all of us involved in the move to have something while we worked.  I remember being so cold and the soup was the only thing that finally warmed me. I thought she couldn't have made anything more comforting for that day. 

My boyfriend doesn't like taco soup because most recipes are very soupy so he was hesitant to try mine until he saw the hearty meat and veggie mixture.  This version is almost like a chili with a few different spices and ingredients.

Taco Soup
2 lb. ground chuck (I use turkey now)
2 onions, chopped
5-6 ribs celery, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 cans stewed tomatoes 
2 cans pinto beans
2 cans white shoepeg corn
1 can rotel tomatoes (maybe 2)
1 envelop taco seasoning (maybe 2)
1 envelop ranch salad dressing
Tortilla chips

Brown meat. Add celery, onions, and garlic. Cook until tender. Drain grease. Add tomatoes, beans, corn, and seasonings. Cook about 45 minutes. Serve over chips.


Merrill's Shrimp and Grits
I grew up in South Mississippi and somehow had never even heard of Shrimp and Grits until I moved to Oxford. Now I travel back down south and see it everywhere, I have no idea how I missed this dish.  Anyway, I have now discovered it and that is all that matters. But don't be fooled - not all shrimp and grits are created equally.  By far, the best version I have ever had was at Merrill and Josh's wedding.

Not long after their wedding, I could not get this dish off my mind. Boyfriend had just bought some shrimp from a friend who had gone shrimping so I got the recipe from Merrill and we did our best to recreate this dish.  I have to say that we recreated it (or at least came so very close). Except at the wedding we were given little dishes of the very rich food, however when we made it ourselves we served up huge bowls. Not a good idea. This stuff is rich and is meant to be consumed in small quantities!  So eat slow and savor.

Shrimp and Grits
Dry white wine
Green onions
Garlic
Bacon
Butter (a good bit but not quite as much as Paula Deen
Tabasco
Creole seasoning
Heavy cream
White cheddar cheese
Grits
Shrimp

The sauce: In a nonstick pan, put about 1/2 cup heavy cream, about 1/2 stick butter, and a few splashes of white wine (cook it down for awhile). Towards the end of cooking add the garlic ( a good deal of garlic), green onions, and about two shots of Tabasco.

The Shrimp: Shrimp can be boiled or sauteed (either will work). Merrill adds her shrimp to her sauce to get the flavor of the shrimp into the sauce after the sauce is done.

The Grits: Cheese grits are a must. Use white cheddar cheese to make the grits.

The Finish: Garnish with bacon, green onions, and more cheddar cheese.



Beth's Orange Candies
My graduate assistant Beth is known as the chef of the career center.  She makes everything.  And makes something or several somethings almost every day.  I like to cook but I believe Beth really can't and shouldn't go a day without cooking.  Cooking is one of her defining personality characteristics.  That and working out non-stop - a helpful combination. We, at work, really benefit from both of her passions. She cooks for us and teaches us Zumba.

Recently, she brought in Orange Candies. I don't eat very much sugar and I have to admit I was hesitant to eat this dessert but I tried one and I am so glad I did!  The flavor instantly reminded of me my great-grandmother, Mama Lack's, orange pound cake but in a little bite size ball.  I never knew Mama Lack but my mother has made this cake for me in the past so of course this little candy immediately reminded me of family.

Orange Candies
6 oz orange juice concentrate - this is half of the regular container
1 box powdered sugar
1 stick butter (melted)
11 oz vanilla wafers-crushed (The kind that comes in a bag)
1 c. chopped nuts (I use pecans)
Sweetened coconut

Combine all ingredients except coconut and roll into 1 inch balls. Roll balls in coconut and chill.

No comments:

Post a Comment