Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Southern Cooking Y'all

While brainstorming ideas for my next post, I typed in my Google search box: "blog ideas" and hit search.  I found several possibilities but the one suggestion that really excited me was to pick a theme and write on that theme every day for a week.  I loved the idea of a daily writing challenge but what theme?  Well I guess food is never far from my mind because it didn't take me long to come up with an idea - Southern Cooking. 

I never would have declared myself a foodie until recently. I use to be anti-cook because I wasn't going to be found in the typical "woman's" place, also known as the kitchen.  No way. If you wanted food around me then I could tell you with expert wisdom where the best restaurants were and describe a majority of the menu in detail.  In a very strange way, not agreeing to cook on a daily basis was my way of declaring my female independence. I know it was a very, "I am woman hear me roar" mentality.  But everyone has to have their hangups and that was one of mine. Plus I was busy and therefore food could be found in someone's else kitchen. Preferably a restaurant with a good ambiance.

But something changed a few years ago.  I added a new interest because while I still love to eat out, actually preparing the food became intriguing to me.  And finally I felt like it was not just seen as a woman's job. For example, some of my favorite food network shows featured fabulous male chefs.  That is when I let my little secret out...I can cook.  And, here is the best part,  people actually eat what I cook and like it!  I just chose not to cook unless there were lights on trees and pretty packages with bows wrapped under those trees. Yes, I was a holiday cook. Until now.

I love to cook. I love to talk about food, find new recipes, make people happy with food, and of course I love to eat it.  I adore cookbooks, especially Southern ones.  And I find myself several times a day talking about food with my co-workers, family, and friends. My boyfriend and I even joke about ourselves because as we eat one meal we usually are deep in conversation about what else? Other foods we want to try! 

Don't get me wrong, I still love to eat out - a lot.  And I don't like to ever have to cook but most of the time cooking has become a celebration to me.  I can turn on some music and pour a glass of wine and make the experience a celebration even on a regular, possibly mundane, week night.  So my theme for a week beginning this Saturday will be Southern Cooking. I will be sharing my favorite Southern recipes as well as any memories associated with those recipes or cooking in general.  As my love for cooking has grown, I have learned another thing about my culture that makes the experience of preparing food much more than a previously assigned gender role. Cooking as a Southerner goes beyond merely feeding the family or friends, it is a sign of pride and most importantly, a way of celebrating our heritage and love for one another.  I hope you enjoy my upcoming food entries and I would love to hear some of yours! Okay, I am fixin' to go make something good!

No comments:

Post a Comment