Monday, February 20, 2012

Lately I have been trying to figure out how to incorporate more mindfulness into my every day living.  I have made small and very unsuccessful steps toward learning how to make this frame of mind my way of living.  My attempts go something like this:  Google mindfulness, find an article that looks simple and easy to read, click on article, skim the article and decide it is too long because I could be looking at Facebook or Pinterest.  I definitely need mindfulness don't I?  I think my first hint to myself is when I can't even concentrate to read a one page article!  Time to settle my mind and see what is around me.

You know I always hear that Southerners are slower than our Northern friends. Well thank God I was born a Southerner because I don't think my brain could move any faster than it already does! I constantly confuse Boyfriend the way I hop from one topic to the next. However, in my head there is no hopping - just thoughts moving at lightning speed and I can't talk as fast as my thoughts run so it appears as if I am issue hopping.  It is exhausting keeping up with my head sometimes!  Therefore, I have decided to honor the Southern stereotype and slow down and smell some azaleas!

This morning, I  realized that the perfect time to incorporate this new habit would be now during the season of Lent. I can use the Lenten season to study mindfulness, slow my life down and strengthen my focus on the present.  God has blessed me with so many blessings every day but I am running so fast that I often forget to appreciate them. A quote from Pinterest comes to me often, it reads:

If you are depressed, you are living in the past.
If you are anxious, you are living in the future.
If you are at peace, you are living in the present.

See Pinterest is good for more than just wasting time!  Join me as I blog during the Lenten season about slowing down my crazed mind to be more mindful in my life. First step, read an entire article on mindfulness!

No comments:

Post a Comment