Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Explore. Dream. Discover

I came across this quote from Mark Twain today in a professional publication and loved it.  We have all heard this advice in some form before but I believe Mark Twain most eloquently states it.  His words resonated with me as good advice for the students I work with as well as for myself, family and friends. 

"Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."

Because my job involves constantly pushing others to grow to accomplish their dreams, I am required to also look at myself and ask myself am I following my own advice.  It holds me accountable so that I am not telling students to do as I say not as I do!  I get to stay motivated.  This quote reminded me to refocus on some of my dreams that I have let slip simply due to a busy life.  But I guess it is time to reorganize my time!  At least that is what I would tell my students.   I am fortunate that I have a very full, rewarding life so I feel like most of the time I am exploring, dreaming and discovering.  However, the one things that I have neglected that came to mind instantly are the three books I started writing and all sit unfinished.  I would be very disappointed twenty years from now if I was still saying that one day I am going to finish those books.  They would probably be too outdated by that time anyway!  But because of that quote today, I am going to finish those books.  What will you make sure you accomplish?

No comments:

Post a Comment