Monday, July 30, 2012

Marry Me Monday: Journal

In my work counseling students on career paths, I frequently suggest writing or journaling as a means to clarify thoughts. Obviously I love to write so the act of writing often helps me think through ideas and understand my feelings better.  Writing may not be helpful to everyone but I can't imagine a day going by without scribbling something down.  The journal also lets you document special times in your life which allows you to go back over the years to reflect and see how much you have grown.  Given that being engaged is one of those special times that I wish to document, I am following the advice to write during this time.  After reading one of the first things you should do after getting engaged is to keep a journal, I decided to dedicate my journal entries over this year to the marriage preparation process.  I am learning with the plethora of emotions and questions that come at this time, it will help me to write so that I can better clarify my feelings and therefore contribute to a strong foundation for our marriage. In addition to feelings and documenting special times, I am also reading and wanting to remember marriage advice.  Being married will be new to us so I am learning everything I can on what makes a marriage successful and by writing it down I will have my own reference guide! 

Of course you can journal about anything. I have been keeping journals or diaries since I was six.  Those are some funny entries to read.  My 1st grade handwriting reminds me that my biggest concern was not getting enough play time!  If you have not kept a journal before or if you have not found it as effective as it could be try implementing a few of these tips:

1. What makes journal writing effective is consistency so make sure you are jotting something down every day. 

2. Remember to be honest - don't write for anyone but you. The only way you will figure out your true feelings is to make sure your writing is genuine.  Your journal is not a place where you have to make an impression.

3. Just write. Don't feel like you have to write a lot.  Some days you will have a lot to say. Others days you may just have a sentence or two.  Do whatever feels comfortable.

4. Don't feel like you have to have complete sentences, correct grammar, or grand ideas.  You don't have to edit or be perfect. 

5. When in doubt on what to write, write a list of at least five things you are grateful for that day.  In fact, no matter what I write for that day I always end my journal entry with my list.  The list is a very powerful tool on keeping you focused on all that you do have. 

No comments:

Post a Comment