Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Cookbook Memories

I call Paula Deen comfort TV.  I feel like I could just pull up a stool in her kitchen while she cooked and it would be like any other family gathering that I have experienced.  And somehow I feel like I am indulging just watching the heavy food that she prepares (thankfully without consuming the calories!).

There is one episode that has inspired my latest project.  She had recipes from her grandmother and mother in their handwriting.  They have passed away but she talked about how food brings back memories. These special dishes always brought her back to feeling like she was with her loved ones.  The episode was very touching, moving her to be a little teary eyed at the end of it.  I, too, get emotional thinking about the special dishes our families prepare and what the food means to all of us.

Food, especially for Southerners, is so much more than sustenance.  Especially special dishes that our loved ones are known for and the memories created around those special dishes.  As I prepare for our upcoming wedding, one thing I know I want to take into my married life is a book of family recipes. But I don't want just the recipes, I want each special dish described in their handwriting.  I plan on collecting all the recipes and assembling a handwritten cook book composed by family members.

In previous blog entries, I  have referred to the dishes that are made by several loved ones but they have even more. So as we combine our families and look forward to creating new memories, I will bring in my family dishes to accompany me in my new exciting journey. This way our family continues on through my new family that I am creating in my marriage.  The book will be one more family tie that combines us all.

No comments:

Post a Comment