Friday, October 12, 2012

A Monday Night in Oxford

When I moved to what I thought would be a so called sleepy town five years ago, I imagined plenty of down time that I would fill with writing and more contemplative activities.  I envisioned a writer's retreat of sorts, but I don't know how I ever expected an extravert like myself to stay retreated too long.  My idea of Oxford was completely false as the constant busy and exciting life that I get to live here is far from the small town idea I had in mind. I may be in a sleepy town but it is only when I, myself, am sleepy from doing so much.  

On any given night in my Southern town, there is an arts event, show, concert, party, sporting event, or a reading. Even a simple visit to The Square can turn into a special event with friends and family.  I have to often make a night to just be at home because there is always an opportunity to do something.  For example this week, there was a concert, Caroline Kennedy visited Square Books, and the town is busy preparing for Homecoming. While I did not get the chance to meet Caroline Kennedy, I did see a talented band and got to spend Thursday evening with the best group of women at our monthly Bunco game.  Life is definitely not dull in this little college town. 

Ed loves music and is rarely disappointed with the caliber of musicians that visit Oxford. Silversun Pickups, one of his favorite groups, performed in The Lyric Monday night.  The space and crowd was a small, intimate one with a happy energy. We arrived during the opening act and were still able to stand about three rows back from the stage.

The group proved their talent by sounding as good, if not better, as their recorded cds. They performed a mix of the new and old favorites.  I am relatively unfamiliar with the band so while I could not recall a lot of their songs easily, I liked what I heard.  There unique sound was a good combination of enchanting and mystical with an edge.  But since I had no background knowledge of the band other than what Ed tried to expose me to prior to the concert, my favorite parts were probably different than the true fans.

Performance wise, I loved how the lead singer was a captivating performer.  Many lead singers expect just their voice to entertain.  Not him.  Everything about his performance seem to really live the music so much that even an unfamilar audience member like myself got it.  The gestures were suddel but powerful.  A look with his eyes, a flick of his hand, or a quick turn of his head were all authentic movements that said to me he was a natural, talented performer.  I was inspired by the charisma and the passion of the entire band.  An experience like that for me is not just about entertaining but I take it with me as a reminder to continue incorporate that type of passion in my daily life.

My most favorite part of the performance reflects my love for my Southern town.  The band is from California and while talking to the crowd, they told us that they had never been to Oxford.  The lead singer went on to say, "and aren't you lucky.....to live in this amazing town!?!"  Of course that played to the pride many Oxonians have but he added more.  He, along with the rest of the band, had dinner at a favorite restaurant in town, AJAX.  He also knew about landmarks in the town and traditions.  Obviously, the charm of Oxford had taken in this guy and I loved that.  Maybe it is my Southern hospitality and pride, but I love it when others have a great time in the South and see even a small glimpse of why our South is so special.

The picture of the audience that Silversun Pickups posted on their Facebook page.


Us at the concert




 

No comments:

Post a Comment