Monday, November 12, 2012

Marry Me Monday: The Vision

When Ed and I got engaged, we agreed immediately that we were not going to get swept up in all the tiny details because those did not matter to us with our wedding. We wanted a good time for all with a focus on a meaningful ceremony and a fun reception with dancing, food and drink.  The tiny details that add up the costs did not mean anything to us.

Forward a few months to now and I think we have done a good job remaining focused on what matters.  Ed even more so than me, because I do tend to listen to other ideas.  People are very well meaning but many have opinions that they think will help you but often leave you feeling confused and overwhelmed.  Five months after being engaged and I feel like I have studied weddings more than I have studied academics in all of my years of education!

Please don't misread my comments as cynical.  The wedding industry with all of the tips, pictures and stories have helped us come up with great ideas as well as enjoy the process of planning.  This day is a special day and the planning should be a fun, enjoyable process.  You just have to remain focused on what you and your fiance wants.  I have to remember that through all the well meaning opinions, that someone's vision is just that - another person's vision!

For every unsolicited piece of advice I have received, there is at least 2 tips of good advice that come along with it. One thing I read today included how to create your wedding vision.  I never knew that a vision would be so important but it does dictate every choice you make, even in a low key wedding like ours (or so we tried to make it that way).

From the Pinkbook:

1. Choose five words that describe your ideal wedding.  While we did not formally do this exercise but I would say that our five words would be:
1. Fun
2. Meaningful
3. Classy
4. Comfortable
5. Southern

2. Choose three top priorities in your wedding. Ours would be:
1. Family and friends
2. Food and drink
3. Fun

Every soon to be wed couple's list will be different but they all should reflect the couple. I definitely knows ours reflects us.  Happy Monday!


No comments:

Post a Comment