Thursday, November 1, 2012

November 1st: National Novel Writing Month

I always look forward to the arrival of November 1st.  The weather is the perfect kind of autumn chilly.  I can drink as many cinnamon, apple and spice drinks as I can find. Sweaters can be worn in abundance. Festive commercials are starting because the holidays are coming and all the preparation for them may begin.  Most importantly, November 1st marks the beginning of my birthday month.  Yes, I said month.  I love my birthday so why  limit it to one day?  And no that is not being selfish because other people benefit from a good birthday celebration. Who ever said no to free cake and champagne

Seriously, I usually don't get away with a whole month, more like a week, but I do like to celebrate my day every year!  Today, on November 1st, I will pull out my favorite decorated wine glass that my good friend gave me several birthdays ago.  Every 1st of November, I get to drink out of the birthday girl wine glass. It is completely girly with pink and yellow paint, squiggles and glittery stones.  I love it!  I allow myself to use it until around November 15th so the birthday celebration can continue for a bit. However, today as I wash my wine glass for the annual use, I will also add another ritual.  I plan on joining in on National Novel Writing month and commit myself to writing 1700 words per day

Every birthday, I set my own personal resolutions and goals. Similar to New Year's, I see a birthday as a time to have your own personal New Year's.  For the past several years, this list has included something to do with writing. However, life gets busy and work makes it even busier so sometimes the goals that don't have to be accomplished will be put aside until a calmer time period.  After seeing a Facebook status from one of my friends this morning challenging others to participate in the daily word quota this month, I realized I needed to accept this opportunity for myself. I encourage my students all the time to strive daily for their goals but sometimes forget to take my own advice. Even though it is not my birthday quite yet, I am starting my new year off a little early by taking on this writing challenge which will hopefully get me back in to the habit of daily writing.    I guess the whole point is to probably write on one project the entire month but I have several writing projects that need attention. I will use my blog as well as academic and creative writing to get to this goal each day. 

You can participate in the challenge too! Even if it is not your birthday and obviously not New Year's Eve, positive change is always timely. Even if writing is not your goal, there is probably something that you have to put aside often to accomplish the necessary daily tasks.  But steal some time back and choose a goal that you can work on every day for the month of November. Make this month YOUR month too.  If you wish, let me know what you decide to take on as a daily challenge.  Wish me luck in mine (and of course, wish me Happy Birthday!).

No comments:

Post a Comment