Monday, January 14, 2013

Marry Me Monday: Laissez les bons temps rouler!!!

I always knew I loved the influence of the New Orleans culture in my life growing up in South Mississippi but I did not know just how much I loved this influence until I moved to North Mississippi.  Since living here, I have introduced the flavors of true King Cake to my pastry deprived friends. Hint: it is not that stale cinnamon bun they sale at Wal-mart or other local grocery stores.  I guess I took it for granted when I lived down in the deep south so now I make extra effort to celebrate the season. My home is usually filled with the spicy smells of the cajun cuisine staple of red beans and rice.  And if you come to a dinner party that I host during this time, you will be greeted by a Mardi Gras wreath as well as the sounds of zydeco music. 

I love it so much  that at one time I dreamed of having a Mardi Gras themed ball for a wedding reception.  For this event, I was really going to introduce my friends to Laissez les bons temps rouler!  I still think this theme would be a colorful and fun reception to not only have but plan! Since we are having our wedding in April after Easter, we have decided on another reception theme so here are some of my ideas for any future Mardi Gras brides!

King Cake Wedding Cake (or Groom's Cake)
Southern Weddings
I love King Cake filled with cream cheese and a fruit filling (blueberry is my fave). I thought having a King Cake wedding cake would be a great twist on tradition. However, if you still want the traditional wedding cake you could top off the topping with a Mardi Gras topper or decorate the cake with Mardi Gras colors.


Guests
Have guests get in on the fun by dressing in colorful attire as you do when you attend a Mardi Gras ball.  I was also going to distribute feather boas, masks, and beads as favors to add to the celebration.

Cuisine
I love pretty much any food that can be found in New Orleans.  The only thing that limits you with cuisine options in this theme would be budget because it would be hard to stop choosing all your selections! At least it would be for me! If I was doing this theme I would serve: gumbo, crawfish etoufee, red beans and rice, and a variety of seafood options. The sweet tooth could be satisfied with King Cake, pralines and beignets served with a coffee bar station featuring coffee with chicory. But the drinks would not stop at coffee because your guests will most likely appreciate the New Orleans signature drink: The Hurricane!

Decorations
The decor could be sophisticated or you could ham it up with a lot of Mardi Gras fun decor like this centerpiece idea.
Great centerpiece idea
Centerpiece Idea


Music
No party would be hard to start with the sounds of Zydeco music. Enough said.

Second Line
End the night with the Bride and Groom leading the traditional Second Line.  I still may incorporate this tradition in my Southern reception!

Second Line


The Departure
Why not instead of having your guests throw something at you during the departure, surprise your guests and throw beads at them.  The bride and groom could exit in a Mardi Gras parade fashion with the bridal party exiting first with the smaller beads and the newly married couple finishing up "the parade" with the best beads to throw! 

LAISSEZ LES BONS TEMPS ROULER


No comments:

Post a Comment