Friday, September 21, 2012

Always Try New Things

I work with college age students helping them determine what their career path is as well as how to pursue it.  One common problem among this group is the fear that the fun in life ends when they graduate.  Some struggle with sadness due to the belief that these are the last years before they have to become a "boring" adult.

I understand. I went through a slight depression or quarter life crisis when I was around 26.  At that age, you have gone through so many of life's exciting milestones that you are left being an adult without really feeling ready to be one and wondering what is next. I am fortunate that I went through that time period so I can relate. I was also very blessed to have had a few role models already in their 30s who could relate to what I was going through.  These people were positive role models who let me know that it only gets better.  I entered my 30s excited and they were right - my 30s have been far better than my late 20s.  I feel younger and happier. I try to communicate this same message to my students through not only my story but various examples in class and in sessions. However, not everyone is like me.  Unfortunately some adults do turn out to be just boring adults.  But maybe they were boring kids too.

I read an article this week that made me think of staying young. Jamie Lee Curtis was interviewed in Good Housekeeping about life in general but there was one of her philosophies that really stood out.  She recently wrote a children's book about an exciting year of firsts. Writing this book made her think about how as adults we tend to not try new things as eagerly as we did as children.  She is right. Many of us as children enrolled in a variety of after school classes, learned new hobbies, and were eager to meet new friends. Somewhere along the way to adulthood, a lot of us stop enrolling in new classes and trying new things.  We simply get caught up in the responsibilities of being an adult.  Maybe that is why 20 somethings get the idea adulthood is boring.  With this insight, Curtis decided to try new things.  She started out with a 5k because running scared her as a child. Then after successfully completing the 5k she moved to working her way through a cookbook series that she loved.

This article excited me. I am fortunate enough to work on a college campus where I am constantly exposed to new ideas and activities but it made me want to do more.  As mentioned in a previous blog, I am attempting to learn calligraphy so I can personally address our wedding invitations. In addition to the calligraphy, I like Curtis's idea about working her way through a cookbook.  I am going to start on a Southern Living cookbook that I have been staring at for over a year.  Time to try new recipes!

What are some new things you want to try? I would love to hear your ideas!

No comments:

Post a Comment