Monday, September 10, 2012

Marry Me Monday: The Dress

I found my dress!  Last Sunday, I started what I assumed would be a lengthy process of going to numerous stores and trying on a few dozen dresses but the process came to an end on just dress number three. I am not much for cliches but in this case" the third try is the charm" truly fits.

After being a faithful watcher of "Say Yes to the Dress" I knew how I wanted the dress shopping experience to go.  Starting with I did not want an entourage for the initial shopping.  While I am not one to shy away from being the center of attention, I have watched to many horror scenarios play out with way too many hateful opinions.  Not that I felt that the ladies I would choose to accompany me would ever be like that, I knew I needed only one person to assist me with a decision that should be carefully deliberated.  So the one person I chose to share this special experience was, of course, my mother.   Wedding planning is filled with so many meaningful moments and I am so happy that I shared this special moment with the woman that originally taught me about fashion.

So on Sunday we made our way to what I thought would be just the first stop - David's Bridal.    It is funny in wedding planning that everybody seems to have an opinion.  I have noticed several women have issues with David's Bridal - it is much too chain for these ladies and not boutique enough.  I say whatever! A great dress is a great dress no matter where you go.  And if the price is good then even better! 

I was greeted by the sweetest sales staff who made me feel just as special as the brides featured in the wedding shows.  I knew what style I wanted and had my budget in mind.  I also knew that realistically everything I wanted (and the list was quite long) may not be all met within my budget.  Yes, those shows have made me an expert in wedding dresses.  Or so I thought....because I was wrong.

My mom and I selected about eight dresses to start. The first one was one that I had picked out prior to coming and new would be my favorite.  Wrong!  I have never put something on my 5'2 frame that weighed more than I do!  The dress was so heavy that in order to walk I had to heave it up with both hands. There was no way that I was floating gracefully down the aisle in this one.  If I chose this one, my groom would have to walk to me! 

I looked fine in it and then a slight fear struck me - what if I looked just fine in all of them?  If any of them could work, the decision would be difficult with no stand out.  But that fear disappeared as my mother helped me in to my second choice. Much lighter, this dress was gorgeous!  I was so excited because it had many of my wants.  The sales staff knew from the look on my face that I had found the one and rushed to put a selection of headpieces on me so that I could see myself as a bride. I was done.  I knew this was the one I wanted.  Little girls that were trying on their flower girl dresses were oohhing. But what if?

I looked at my mom and knew I really wanted to try the next ones on to make sure.  The sales staff put the top pick aside for me and in the dressing room I went.  Out I came in a dress that had every element I wanted.  I did not want it to be my favorite as I turned to look at myself because it was the most expensive in the bunch but as I saw my reflection I realized this was the dress.  The sales staff mentioned the back was what the guests would see and all of a sudden I had chills. An odd sensation of cold and hot came over me as I could really see myself at the front of the church with Ed. I never gave much credit to that feeling they say you will get but it is true.  Not only did I feel it but my mom did as well.  And the flower girls were seriously oooohing over this one.  Out came the headpieces and I knew that even if I kept looking no other dress would compare.  This is the dress I get to marry the man of my dreams in!

The sales rep put up the second dress because the third was now my favorite. However, given that the third trumped the second I knew I had to try on the remaining dresses just in case.   I stepped out in the 4th dress and one of the flower girls had taken her seat to see what I had on next.  She oohed but not as enthusiastically as on the third. It was beautiful  but not my dress. I asked the little fashionista what she thought and she gave me the blunt but polite opinion of a 9-year-old Southern girl.  She liked the 4th one but the third one was so much better. 

The next 4 dresses were a white, fluffy blur.  My mom and I were moving quickly.  Each time I stepped out, it was an instant no. None of them compared to my dress.  Lastly, I put my dress back on to make sure.  The headpieces came out and pictures were made.  I confirmed this was my dress.  The store then made the moment even more special by following their tradition of announcing it on the loudspeaker and giving me a golden bell to ring.  My mom said her heart fluttered as she took one of many special pictures that will be captured in my dress.


No comments:

Post a Comment