Monday, July 15, 2013

Married Mondays: The First 100 Days!

Today marks 100 days of married life!  I remember the excited I felt when we finally hit 99 days until our wedding.  Those 99 days were packed with parties and wedding preparations but the time seem to slowly drag until the big day. Now 100 days after our wedding, the time has sped by.  These last 100 days have been filled with all types of events in our lives, both happy and sad. We have had exciting times and social times, however, we have rarely had one mundane moment because we have stayed so busy.

I have learned a lot in just these three months of marriage and I am excited to see what the rest of the year will bring. Reflecting over the last 100 days, I have learned the following:

The Hardest Year? Not so sure....
They say the first year is the hardest.  Well we have made it through 100 days so now only 265 more to go and we are out of our first year.  But I don't think so far it has been that hard.  Sure there have been times that we have learned to adjust to each other but most of the adjustment has been relatively easy. Summing up the mood for the last 100 days really would be more like fun and not hard.

Oops! I Forgot to Pick My Battles
Our biggest fight was our silliest.  I can't believe that I am even admitting that we fought over the existence of ghosts.  No, I am not kidding.  We could have argued over politics, religion, money, even food but instead we had a heated debate over spirits.  I can be a very determined person. Unfortunately, my determination in this heated discussion really cost me credibility points and sleep.   So moving forward, I will make an effort to make sure I pick my battles and not include those that involve spirits...whatever kind of spirit that might be!

I Actually LIKE to Cook!
I am so much more domestic than I ever thought I would be. I love to plan the meals and cook new things.  I am loving my new hobby. No longer do I just pin ideas, I actually try them.  This blog has benefited and will continue to do so in the future as I write about my pinterest adventures.

Southern Living Magazine
I am insanely clean. I thought I was clean before but now I realize that I take order to a new level.  My husband is also neat but can let a lot more slide than me. I don't think this is going to change about myself because I feel less stress when things are in their place. I can come home and relax when I consider everything to be pretty.

I read the perfect line the other day about being content at home, "Return everything  back to start before you leave a room."  Ed is starting to understand this characteristic about me or at least deal with this part of my personality.  He probably still thinks I want to live in a museum. I tell him, "No, I don't want to live in a museum. I want to live in Southern Living magazine!"

Marriage is Different
Enjoying a Sunday morning breakfast the other day on our patio, we talked about the first 100 days of marriage.  Both of us agreed that marriage is different.  We knew it would be but never before grasped what that would mean. The difference is hard to describe.  Right after I got married, a friend of mine who had been married a few years looked at me knowingly and said, "It is different, right?"  The shared understanding glance that she gave me was like an initiation into a private society that only the ones that cross over to this world of matrimony understand.  I returned the knowing look because someone else got it.  She understood that all this happiness is so genuine and at the same time so hard to describe.  I ask my husband how he would describe the difference and use the word comfort which is the word that I often use as well. So to attempt to describe the indescribable: to be married for us moves us from a dating love to a deeper love. Our dating love was so special because it led us to marriage but after marriage the love turns more comforting and is on a deeper level. I guess the comfort comes from knowing that you move from being someone's girlfriend to being family.  And family is forever.

Can you tell we are happy? Cheers to the next 100 days!


No comments:

Post a Comment