Monday, July 1, 2013

Married Mondays: The Curtains Martha Stewart Would Hate

Since getting married a little under three months ago, I have discovered the very domestic side of me.  While I have no desire to be a Martha Stewart, I have accomplished a lot of home projects in a few short months. However in my projects, I definitely "Casey-fy" the process. For example, if Martha Stewart wanted a new roman style shade for her tiny half bath she would probably first raise a sheep, then take the fur from it, spin it into fabric and dye the fabric. From there, she would then proceed to cut perfect lines and sew it into a beautiful, quality roman shade that would last for years. However, Martha Stewart most likely does not have a tiny little half bath like I do and no one has time for a Martha Stewart style life. 

So what does a newlywed do who wants to make her bathroom cute with a very tiny budget and no sewing skills?  She goes to Pinterest and YouTube to learn how to do a no-sew curtain!  She buys fabric from fabric.com for a great price. And that is just what I did. However, this newlywed has no measuring skill or logical way of thinking when it comes to home projects so way too much fabric arrived!  No-sew pillows will be the next project. Yep, the entire house may have to be decorated in this material.

But I did it!  Martha Stewart would turn gray with disdain at my method. I cut my fabric with some cheap scissors and the lines were jagged and crooked.  I used stitch witchery instead of a needle and thread but realized I am very good at the no-sew thing!  The hem is of excellent quality just don't pull at it. And yes, there may have been some safety pins involved but I believe that since safety pins were invented  they should be used. Martha would have done the whole curtain process from sheep to window in probably 20 minutes. My no-sew roman shade took me about 2 hours but it is up and exactly what I wanted.  I am so proud of myself and my dear sweet hubby loves it too.  So all you not-so-domestic goddesses out there know that you can do this too!  The front looks great and no one should be looking at the back of curtains any way. 
The Before...curtains were fine but not the style I wanted.


Getting ready to cut. This part is when I was really nervous and wondered can I do this but then remembered I had a plenty more fabric in case I made a mistake.

After measuring and cutting the fabric, I pinned the fold to make sure the hem line was straight before adding the stitch witchery.

What you use when you don't sew.
I carefully followed the directions on the stitch witchery package and it worked!




I hemmed the top section with a big enough space in it so that a rod could fit through it.  I then pinned two pieces of ribbon around each side.


More pictures of my little beach themed bathroom to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment