Thursday, May 30, 2013

Kiefer's

A picture Ed took of me on our first Kiefer's date!
There are some restaurants you go to because it is convenient and then there are others you will drive hours for because you dream about the food.  Kiefer's in Jackson, MS is one of those places!

A couple of weekends ago, the hubby and I made a long but fun road trip very south to Houston, TX. To break up the trip we stopped in Jackson to indulge our cravings that had not been satisfied since our last stop in October.  We were more than happy with our experience (typical of this place).

Kiefer's has been featured on The Food Network as well as an assortment of  magazines.  And all recognition is well deserved. Not only is the food authentic Greek happiness, the atmosphere of a twinkle lit deck on a slightly warm spring night is the epitome of modern day Southern life.

If you go, indulge in the feta cheese sauce.  Actually just ask for a cup and a straw to drink it.  Or you may just want to turn the cup up and slurp it up because people often threaten to drink the stuff.  Yes, it is that good. And yes, we are some of the people that threaten to drink it.

Our favorite side dish is one order of cottage fries with two extra cups of the feta cheese sauce to coat the fries.  When we first started dating, I just let Ed request one extra cup because I wanted to be polite but the polite phase has long been replaced with the reality that I want my own cup!  Ed confided in me at this last dinner that he is happy that I have my own cup. While I thought I was being polite in our early dating phase, I ate most of it and he didn't get much. I guess he was the one being polite to the girl that ate all his feta cheese sauce and he still married me!

Not being a beef or lamb fan, I stay away from the typical gyro. Although, I am sure it is wonderful. Lately my favorite wrap to continue to drown in the feta cheese sauce is the grilled chicken wrap with added mushrooms, onions and bell peppers.  They probably get frustrated that I unwrap the gyro (an instructed not-to-do on the menu) and eat out the contents.  I am told the fresh pita is especially made in Chicago and shipped down. And while it is good, it is certainly not gluten free. However, the contents are so delicious that I don't need the bread filling me up and taking away the additional room for the feta cheese sauce!

If you are in the area you have to try Kiefer's. If you are not in the area, then you have to drive but it is one of those places that is so well worth it!



No comments:

Post a Comment